Include gadget (iframe)
A caring community where learners are challenged to achieve personal excellence
- To raise student achievement with a focus on reading, writing and mathematics.
- To prepare our children to become confident, independent people who love learning and aim for personal excellence.
- Improve educational outcomes for priority learner. This includes Māori, Pasifika, and those students with special needs.
- To provide all children with a range of experiences that will support them to make positive decisions about their well-being.
- To have effective school management systems in place relating to
Fernlea is a decile 4 school located in Wainuiomata. We are a contributing school, which means we teach students from years 1 – 6. We have ten classrooms and a roll that ranges between 230 and 260 students.
We are in the process of reviewing our Fernlea School curriculum and our implementation statements. Driving this is our commitment to helping our students achieve their potential in all areas of the curriculum with a focus on literacy and numeracy. Our Traits of Greatness underpin everything that we do at Fernlea. They encourage our students to:
· Show heart
· Be curious
· Be courageous
· Be a thinker
· Show A+ Attitude
Everything we do reinforces our aim to develop and strengthen these five traits in the students.
The Fernlea School Board of Trustees undertakes to take all reasonable steps to achieve the purpose, aims and objectives in the Charter, to take full account of the National Education Guidelines and to meet all statutory obligations. The Board, following consultation with the community, has approved this charter.
Fernlea School’s curriculum statements and policy documentation will recognise the unique position of Māori, the dual heritage of New Zealand and its cultural diversity. It will provide students with experiences and understandings in cultural traditions, language and local and national histories including personal experiences where practicable.